Thursday, October 16, 2008

Learning Mandarin - what TV programs do you watch? - Page 2 -








> Chinese Culture > Films and Television
what TV programs do you watch?
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.





Page 2 of 2 < 1 2






wushijiao -

I watched a show on 东方卫视 today called 创智赢家. The show is a reality show, roughly
following the Aprentice.

The show has two teams that are required to do some business-related project each week, and then
one team wins, people PK, people get voted off...etc.

The show is pretty good- not cheesy, but not boring. There's also an American on the show named
石磊 who has really good Chinese. Due to the fact that the show is a long series, I think he's
helping to brake the model of Chinese-speaking foreigners on TV that basically are assigned the
role of "look at me, I'm dressed in Tangzhuang and know a lot of idioms" (although I think that
this was a historical stage that couldn't have been avoided, so I wouldn't want to bash some of
the first foreigners to go on TV after "Reform and Opening", in which that type of interaction was
allowed for the first time in 30 years).



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









cookie_monster -

Haven't watch tv in awhile but I usually check out the movie channel when I did. They don't always
play good movies, but then sometimes u do get lucky Also, the "travel channel" forgot what it's
called, but they used to have it in English (not anymore though).










Yang Rui -

I divide my time between Shenzhen and Beijing. In Shenzhen I have digital cable and enjoy the
Taiwanese shows 康熙来了 and 超级星期舞. They're both chat shows. The first is a bit
risque at times and the celebrity guests are often embarrassed by the show's presenters 徐熙娣
(Xu Xidi, otherwise known as 小S) and 蔡康永 (Cai Kangyong) who is camper than a row of
tents. Conversation is gossipy and involves such subjects as how much phlegm they cough up in the
morning (yes really) and whether they fancy other celebrities. The second show is presented by a a
singer and a dancer. Every week a celebrity joins them for a mixture of lighthearted chat and
bursts of song and dancing. There are also "hilarious" little sketches involving the two
presenters. These programmes are on Star Chinese (星空卫视)i think. Sometimes there are also
entertaining shows on 华娱卫视(Huayu Weishi). I also like the show 食字路口,where
Taiwanese uber-presenter Wu Zongxian and his disciples Kangkang and Nono pair up with celebrities
and divide into teams and go around Taiwan tasting different kinds of food and generally having a
laugh. I have to admit it's all pretty mindless stuff, but it's entertaining.

In Bejing i don't have cable and have never found anything worth watching.










venture160 -

I'll have to put another vote in for 康熙来了, really really funny. The HUGE DVD store near
HIT in Harbin had every episode on disc. Although there are some other good Taiwanese shows such
as 大哥大, and 我猜我猜我猜猜猜!They are all chat style shows with goofy
entertaining hosts and movie stars as guests. The last one is interesting in that for the last
half of every show there are guests and you have to guess if they are fake or real. Funny stuff.










babygodzilla -

LOL Yang Rui... nothing worth watching in Beijing... I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that
way!










koreth -

How about TV that's broadcast overseas? My satellite system (DirecTV) gets CCTV-4, TVBS, a channel
called "The China Movie Channel," and Phoenix Television.

CCTV-4 seems to be devoted mostly to news and human interest shows about Taiwan (my Taiwanese
girlfriend likes to watch the news on CCTV-4 when we happen to catch it, odd since she's usually
pretty anti-大陆) and so far I haven't quite figured out the relation, if any, between its
actual schedule and what's listed in the DirecTV program guide.

I live in the San Francisco area so I can also get our local pan-Asian station, KTSF. The
Taiwanese kids' show 水果冰淇淋 on that channel has been pretty useful for practicing my
listening skills, but I think I'm ready for something a tad more challenging.

Given that limited selection of channels, any recommendations of shows a low-intermediate learner
would have some hope of understanding?










kudra -

I'm interested in finding a series like 中国式离婚, in terms of listening practice,
vocabulary (not necessarily a trashy soap opera) that I can watch on my Palm TX during my (train)
commute. I haven't figured out how to play rmvb format on a palm. My viewer is TCPMP. Any
suggestions?

Thanks.










geraldc -

Try using a conversion program like eright super http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

It can convert from practically any format to any format, and can resize and resample.

I use it to convert divx programs to watch on my phone to keep me amused on train journeys...










kudra -

thanks, nice.










geraldc -

Over Xmas, we installed a Slingbox at my Grandma's flat in HK so we now stream HK and Mainland TV
back to the UK.
Can't say I use it much ( dad does most of the watching via the Slingbox) as I'm part of the
bittorrent DL generation...
However I have noticed that early sunday mornings around 8.50am Beijing Time or 12.50am UK time,
there's a magazine program for pensioners called 夕阳红

http://www.cctv.com.cn/program/xyh/2...9/101781.shtml

At the moment it's an old persons cooking competition, and it's great I've actually learnt a lot.
It's a nice change from the slick professionalism of the TV chefs you get in the UK, and l'm
learning about other types of Chinese cooking.












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:45 PM.














Learn Chinese, Chinese Mandarin, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: