Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chinese Class - Visa questions?????? "L" and "D" -








> Studying, Working and Living in China > Living in China
Visa questions?????? "L" and "D"
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.





Page 1 of 8 1 23 > »






nitropuppy -

I thought I had the chinese visa situation all figured out. Now, I've read some things that negate
my preconceptions. Can anyone answer these few (seemingly) easy questions?
I have heard of the "L" tourist visa. I thought this was good for only thirty days inside China.
Now, I'm reading about multi-entry "L" visa's with extensions on stay in China. Extensions up to
90 days. But, I'm reading vague reasons as to why and where you can get these
Even the chinese consulate web-site is vague on the issue. It mentioned something about requesting
a 60 day extension.I'll be using the New York consulate in the near future.
How difficult is getting a tourist visa which allows a person to stay in China for 90 days?
Does the 90 day "L" visa let you stay in China during those 90 days? Or does a person need to exit
the country every thirty days and come back in on the issued multi-entry visa? (I can see that
getting costly)

Also, what's the deal on the "D" visa? If I'm married to a chinese citizen, do I apply for this
visa so I can live in China for a few years? I'm just trying to figure out a way to spend two
years in China with my wife. I want to live there with her while we work on her U.S. visa. Which
will most likely will take two years to get. How do I accomplish this without racking up huge
bills and frequent flier miles by going in and out of Hong Kong every thirty days?



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









liuzhou -

You have to have been married for five years before you are entitled to a D visa. Also, they
remain scarce and few cities can issue them.

You can renew an L in China without leaving. If you are just a tourist they let you renew once
only (usually for another 30 days), but if you are visiting a relative (including wife!) you can
renew twice, giving you 90 days. I have done this in the past.










lucha -

I came in China with a multi entry 6 months tourist visa, but each stay cannot exceed 3 months.
I have to exit the country after 3 months. When I applied for the visa,I saw they also have
1-year tourist visa.
Also,I have a friend who is married to a Chinese guy and she is on a 1-year tourist visa
too,the reason she gave is “staying with her Chinese husband“.










nitropuppy -

So, can I assume that I can get a new "L" visa in Hong Kong, after my first "L" visa 90 days is
expired? Is there a limit to how many "L" visa's a person can do in a year? It looks like I will
need to fly from Chengdu to Hong Kong four times a year? This is going to get costly. Is there no
other way other than using my TESL certificate to teach english, to stay in China???










smalldog -

If your wife is Chinese you can apply for a 1 year L visa. You can apply for this at a Chinese
embassy/consulate or you can arrive on a normal L visa and get a 1 year extension in your wife's
place of residence. Normal L visas can usually only be extended a couple of times, but there is no
limit for the spouse of a Chinese.

Note that you are technically not allowed to work on an L visa -- to be legal you need to get a Z
visa through your employer.










quanxie -

Visa ofr US cititzens jave been a BIG hassle since the forming of the Homeland security gustopho...

In the US you can easily het a 60 day L tourist visa, then one extension in China for 30 days..
Also last time I checked, any visa issued in the US, no matter how long the visa is good form you
MUST exit the country and re-enter every 60 days.... I have never heard of the 1 year L visa so
maybe it will work... (make sure the duration of stay is 1 year also...

If that plan fails, then you can fly to HK and then purchase a 6 Month F business visa...Until
last month you could get a 1 year but, I heard that a 6 month F is all any countries citizen can
be issued now...










liuzhou -



Quote:

It looks like I will need to fly from Chengdu to Hong Kong four times a year?

Why?

As I said, you can renew the visa in China.










nitropuppy -

Well, I hope "smalldog" is correct. That sounds like an answer. I just hope the 1year "L" visa is
a valid thing. (not that I doubt you smalldog) It's just that I have not read of that anywhere.
The issue is this. We're not married yet. I plan to marry her in China. Also, I want to learn the
language (so I'll know when she's swearing at me) , and get to understand her culture. Putting all
the documents together and getting through the burearacracy to get officially married, will take
at least 60 days. Then I am assuming I can fly to Hong Kong and get the 1 year "L" visa as a
spouse. Sound about right?.......

And yes, I know I can't work on a "L" visa. I'm qualified to teach english but I need to put time
every week into my business. Which is in the "States". Perhaps, I might teach part time just to
contribute to my host society. But, I'm not ready to commit a large block of my time on a
contract. Not yet anyhow. Thanks for all your help. This forum has been very helpful on many
issues. When I'm a more informed veteran of China, perhaps I can return the favor to others.










liuzhou -



Quote:

so I'll know when she's swearing at me

You have a lot to learn! Chinese wives always have a few back-up dialects which you don't know!
They use these to swear at you and talk about you with their friends in front of you!



Good luck!










Pengyou -

I just called the Forever Bright Travel Agency in Hong Kong. They said that it is not possible to
issue a visa to a U.S. citizen to allow him/her to stay in China for 6 months at a time. Is this
true? Are there some loopholes? The first visas on my passport were student visas. I now have a
business license in the U.S. I got an invitation letter from a Chinese company to come here in
July - a 2 month F visa. I had it extended for 2 months - another F visa without leaving the
country - via another organization in China. My visa expires on 11/7

Any suggestions? Does anyone know of a reputable person standing on the corner wearing a trench
coat that can take care of this?

It is so frustrating because there is so much conflicting information.












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:19 PM.














Learn Chinese, Learn Mandarin online, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing,

No comments: