Friday, November 7, 2008

HSK Exam - Chinese name, help please? -








> Learning Chinese > Chinese Tattoos, Chinese Names and Quick Translations
Chinese name, help please?
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.








LostInHeaven -

Short story: I'm half chinese and I've always wanted a chinese name. Now that I am 18, I can
finally change (my mom wouldn't let me before). I asked my father if he could give me a chinese
name and he did. But the problem is, his English is very poor and he doesn't know how to spell it
in English letters.

He wrote me:

Kim - Gold
Lan - lovely girl

But I'm not sure it's correct? Could someone please help me with this? I can't speak Chinese
fluently I might be wrong. I thought "huáng jīn" meant gold, or "jīn". And "lan" orchid.



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









skylee -

Is your father Cantonese? If so then Kim = Gold makes sense.

I guess the name is 金蘭 (traditional) / 金兰 (simplified). In Hanyu Pinyin it is Jinlan. Yes
it means golden orchid, and it also refers to very close friendship as in phrases like
義結金蘭 and 金蘭姐妹.

And it is a very old fashioned name.










rootfool -

Agree with skylee.
But I'm afraid 蘭 didn't means lovely girl.And.I don't know any "LAN" means this.

May be it's just because too many people named 蘭 or 嵐 so it sounds old fashioned.










JimmyFan2006 -

u r right! 'HuangJin' is gold , and 'Lan' means blue.
黄金 gold ,蓝 blue










LostInHeaven -

skylee
Is your father Cantonese?

I don't think so? He speaks... I think it's called Fujian Taiwanese?? Minnan?










Lu -

I'm fairly sure that in Minnanyu 金 is also Kim, so that would make sense.

Minnanyu ('Minnan language') is the dialect spoken in both Fujian (formerly known as Hokkien) and
Taiwan. In Taiwan it's usually called Taiwanese.












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:10 PM.














Learn Chinese, Chinese language, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: