Friday, November 14, 2008

Chinese Class - CSC Scholarship Support Group - Page 12 -








> Studying, Working and Living in China > Universities and Schools
CSC Scholarship Support Group
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.





Page 12 of 17 First < 21011 12 1314 > »






extrapages -

jawshoowa,

thanks for the post. im going to update the first post with some of your information.
i didnt know that you could apply to separate smaller embassies - it seems like only SOME of them
know whats going on with the csc scholarship and others still dont know it exists.

so to answer your questions:
1. the guarantor is anyone you know in china that can vouch for you or act as someone who will be
responsible for you in case of an.. emergency? i guess? its not really that important because they
never check and your application information will probably be long gone by the time you settle
yourself in china. there are people who have just made the information up and still got the
scholarship. however, ive been offering my personal information for those who would prefer to have
a real person listed in that section - that offer now definitely stands for you (if you are
willing to be a guarantor for someone in the future.)

2. a notarized copy is basically one where there's proof of a witness (with a seal/stamp) who can
prove that it is, in fact, a copy of the original that hasnt been tampered with. i was in korea
when i applied, and i had to go to a lawyer's office (or something similar - i forget) and it
wasnt cheap. in the states, you can go to a notary public, UPS/FEDEX/KINKO'S store (or any
copy/delivery type store), or bank - although not all banks offer that service. and also i heard
that you can get stuff notarized at walmart even - but you definitely want to check that. not sure
how much it costs in the states either.

---

how did other people notarize copies of your application documents?
please share with us. it would be great to get as much information on this from as many different
countries/regions as possible!



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









amphivera -

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for everyone who's contributed to this extremely helpful thread. I still
haven't handed in my application (I'm a U.S. citizen so I'm going by the 4/30 deadline). I'm
feeling pretty downbeat about the chances of being accepted since I'm currently living in working
in China as an English teacher. However, I'd really like to study Chinese formally at a Beijing
University next year and I thought it wouldn't hurt to give the thing a shot anyway.

I'm having the same problems others are having regarding finding the appropriate address for the
Chinese Embassy in D.C. I first checked with American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in
Beijing and they responded that, "our Embassy does not get involved with the Chinese Government
Scholarship Program." I'm now trying to get in touch with the Chinese Embassy in D.C. but it's
been a nightmare since I'm using Skype and calling from China.

Anyway, I'll keep on trying but my point is, do not send your materials to the U.S. Embassy in
Beijing. It'll just get tossed in the trash.










extrapages -

amphivera,

yes. as stated in the intro post - us embassies will know nothing about the csc scholarship as it
is a chinese program. you should try to contact the chinese embassy in your home state first. or
pm me if you need the contact info for the guy in d.c.

also, pleasepleasepleaseplease keep us up to date and tell us how it goes. i dont know anyone
who's received the scholarship when they're already in china... and i was sure that people already
in china are not eligible for the longest time but never found it written anywhere so it might
have been just me thinking nonsense.

also, are you in beijing? if so - maybe we can meet and try to work this out together.










floatingcomma -

Dear extrapages and friends,

Thank you very much for this thread, it's really a great help as I feel like I'm swimming in
disconnected information on the web regarding the CSC scholarship. I'm going to attend the IUP
program in the fall for a year because I desperately need to get my Chinese language up to par for
my career.

Do any of you know if I would be eligible for this scholarship as an IUP student? IUP is separate
from Tsinghua, but I still have to fill out foreigners forms for Tsinghua for my visa. The
relationship between Tsignhua and IUP is vague and even when I asked the IUP coordinator here, she
didn't know how to answer, and then the emails I've send to CSC regarding this has of course gone
unanswered. I really need money (I work in the arts, enough said ) so any help is greatly
appreciated!










extrapages -

floatingcomma,

IUP is separate from Tsinghua but is based in Tsinghua and is a Berkeley program - which means you
won't be able to take the IUP course at any other school and it's not a Chinese university
program. Also, tuition for Chinese classes as just a language student (not an IUP student) is a
FRACTION of IUP's fees. The scholarship only covers the tuition for normal Chinese classes - which
usually is around $2,500 USD a year (as opposed to the $14,000). The CSC has partnerships with the
colleges themselves, not programs that may be based out of them.

Are you already at Tsinghua? Are the IUP classes and normal Chinese classes really that different?
If not, I think you should apply for the scholarship and list Tsinghua was your top choice, get
out of the IUP program, and see if you can continue with the classes (if they are the same classes
available to normal language students). But then, I don't know if you'll be able to get credits
for Berkeley. But if you're already in China, as posted in many other places in this thread, you
might have problems - as everyone who's applied while already in China never got approved.

The same goes for EAP people who are coming to China through the University of California schools
- as they need to pay fees and tuition of a UC semester... which is a total rip-off, even with all
the trips they may take you on.










jawshoowa -

floatingcomma,

The only scholarship I know of that would alleviate IUP sticker shock is the Blakemore. It is an
extremely generous scholarship and the only two mandarin programs they feel are worthy of their
funding are IUP and ICLP in Taipei. If you need to attain high-level Chinese for your career, then
you are the right sort of candidate for the Blakemore. Unfortunately the deadline has already
passed for this year. I know 'cause I was rejected. They do require that you already have fairly
high level of skill. The scholarship is meant to bump you up from "good" to "professional", and
IUP and ICLP are just the sorts of programs to do that.

I would suggest doing a year in a regular university program to save money, then applying for the
Blakemore the following year.

Another good language scholarship is run by the Rotary club. I have also been rejected by them in
the past. They seem to like people with a strong public service orientation, and who have a
commitment to cooperating with Rotary in the future. The problem: they do not give scholarships to
China. The Solution: they do give scholarships to go to Taiwan. I believe the deadline has not yet
passed. I am not reapplying since my last attempt was squarely rebuffed and I don't have much more
to spice up my application this year.

OK, this is getting off CSC topic. But certainly many CSC hopefuls are contemplating other sources
of funding.










jawshoowa -

Everyone concerned about US deadlines:

I went down to LA today to hand off my application. They said they are packing up the apps and
sending them off this Friday, April 18th (to DC? to Beijing?) Anyone else in Southern California
planning to apply through the LA embassy should get their stuff in pronto.

Again, I think applicants to the embassy in DC still have time as their end of April deadline
seems to have been verified here multiple times.

BTW, the people at the embassy were super friendly! What a contrast to my experiences trying to
call the embassy on the phone, or waiting in lines last year to get my visa. And what a relief to
have it all done! It's out of my hands now.










extrapages -

jawshoowa,
hahaha! why does it seem like you've been declined from every scholarship out there?! haha! im
sorry...! hopefully, you'll get the CSC one and make your way over to china soon.
and thanks for the info on the local embassy. ill update the intro page to show that they
definitely have earlier deadlines.










zmblum -

Great idea to condense this topic Extrapages... but I digress.

I just applied for a full CSC Scholarship for this Fall '08 and wanted to share my experience. I'm
in Northern California, so I figured the San Francisco consulate would be the best place to turn
my app in.

I overnighted my app last Tuesday so it got there Wednesday. When I called to confirm they
received it and that it was complete, the very nice woman in charge of the consulate's education
section looked through my packet and told me I forgot to attach a picture to the medical paper,
and that I did not include my notarized diploma.

I thanked her for catching the photo omission and told her that I did not have my diploma yet
since I just graduated in December '07 and hadn't picked it up yet. She said I needed to somehow
get it to her. So I did, I had it notarized, and sent it (along with another small picture) to the
consulate via USPS overnight this past Friday. It arrived yesterday.

I finally got through to the her on the phone today (after being told that she was very busy -- I
got the idea they were not thrilled with me calling merely to confirm receipt) and she told me
that my app was now complete. I asked her how they dealt with the app; specifically if she would
now be sending it to China. She told me that they won't send it to China until the deadline, the
30th of this month. I take it from this that they collect all apps turned in until the 30th and
then send them direct to China. After the 30th I guess they don't accept any more but it seems
they would accept on on the 29th. Normally, I would be worried given what I just ready about the
deadline of the 18th in Los Angeles but my friend successfully applied for and got the CSC
scholarship last year through the San Fran consulate. So, I'm not too worried.

Hope that helps any applicants and specifically Bay Area ones... you still have some time
apparently!










extrapages -

zmblum,
awesome. thanks for the post! i know that your PMs havent been turned on by the admins yet
(hopefully, theyll turn it on soon as ive sent them a message), but could you send me the contact
info at the embassy at the bay? i would love to add it to my "ultra top secret, absolutely
brilliant, effing kick-ass CSC contact list."
keep us posted with what happens! did you apply to any schools beforehand? how did you complete
the physical exam - just at your family doctor's? also, WHERE did you get your papers notarized
and how much did they cost? are you trying to come to beijing? =]

sorry for all the questions... just trying to see how you completed your application (because you
definitely did it right for the woman at the embassy to be satisfied that it's complete.) I'm
surprised that they even review each application before they're sent out... and that she caught
that some stuff was missing...! i think you should consider yourself extremely lucky that there's
such a competent person taking care of your application. =]












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:03 PM.














Learn Chinese, Learning Chinese, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing,

No comments: